As previously mentioned running for the unconditioned individual is a misguided starting point. Here is an example of where to start if you have been inactive or even if you've never ran before.
Begin a walking program. The walking program should be tailored to how you feel but will likely look something like this:
- Begin walking a distance that you can complete without feeling fatigued and sore. Perform this activity twice a week for 2-3 weeks.
- Each week add 10% more minutes to your walk at the same pace or slightly faster pace (you want the walk to become brisk in nature)
- After 2-3 weeks increase your number of sessions to 3-4 times per week at the same or slightly greater intensity.
- Follow this until you are able to walk 3-4 miles briskly 3-5 times per week without soreness or fatigue- Then you are ready (at least in running terms for the intermediate intensity portion (walk/jog intervals)
- ***You are progressing at your own pace but if you've been sedentary you should take at the very least a MONTH before progressing to the intermediate intensity phase